Recipe: Festive Beet Quinoa Salad
Foodsmiths Recipe by Perth Pepper and Pestle
Perth Pepper and Pestle introduced this crowd-pleasing recipe during our Holiday Taste Fair, and it got rave reviews! The colour is a bold, fuschia red that will be sure to grab attention at your holiday table. Great tasting, and good for you, too!
You will need...
- ½ cup quinoa (mixed: white / red / black)
- ½ cup mixed rice, your choice (brown, brown basmati, wild, etc…but not black rice)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (or more) peeled, chopped beets
- Dressing: ½ cup Perth Pepper and Pestle Horseradish Black Peppercorn Red Pepper Jelly
- Garnish: Kale (optional), fresh basil, sour cream, horseradish, toasted caraway seeds, pomegranate arils
Put it together...
In a rice cooker add quinoa, mixed rice, beets, vinegar, and salt to your water. Cook as usual. Make sure you cook them together, the rice and quinoa will take on the beet colour to become a beautiful gorgeous festive red. Remove from rice cooker and let cool. While cooling, add Horseradish Black Peppercorn Jelly to the salad and mix until it is lightly melted in. The Red Pepper Jelly will make the beets ‘bleed’ and create an even more beautiful red colour.
Garnish with kale (optional), fresh basil, sour cream, toasted caraway seeds, and pomegranates.