This salad is so delicious, and keeps really well. The kale is marinated, which imparts lots of flavour and makes the kale leaves tender and edible. You can count on this salad as a hearty side dish, or as a light meal.
- 8 cups packed kale leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
Squeeze salad leaves, then slice to 1cm thickness. Place in bowl. Drizzle oil over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scrunch kale leaves with your hands for 1 minute. Kale will shrink by half. Set aside for 30 minutes. Leaves will soften, making them suitable to eat raw.
- 1 cup combination red and white quinoa
- 2 cups water
Rinse quinoa, drain well. Place in saucepan with water, cover with lid and bring to a simmer over medium heat, then leave for 12 to 15 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 12 tsp each salt and pepper
Place ingredients in jar, screw lid on and shake well. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 red onion, quartered and finely sliced
- ⅓ to ½ cup chopped roasted almonds or walnuts
- 100g (3.5oz) crumbled feta cheese
Add the quinoa into the bowl with the kale. Add all the dill and cilantro, half the nuts, feta and ⅔ of dressing. Toss well and transfer into serving bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing, garnish with more feta and nuts.
-- adapted from recipetineats.com