Jamaican Spiced Pumpkin Pie
Coconut milk gives this pie a delicious smooth creaminess with a kicker of spice and rum.
- One 425ml can Farmer's Market pure pumpkin puree
- 1-1/4 cups Cha's Organic Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar from our bulk, or you can use Camino Organic Brown Sugar or Swerve Brown Sugar Alternative (Zero Calorie, Non-Gylcemic, Natural, Diabetes Friendly) and follow package directions for amounts
- 1-1/2 tsp Cha's Organic Ground Ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp Cha's Organic True Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 tbs spiced rum, such as Captain Morgan
- 1 Corner Bakery Pie Crust, blind baked (instructions below)
Position a rack in the centre of the oven, set a heavy duty rimmed baking sheet on the rack and heat the over to 425ºF.
In a large bowl whisk the pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and then the rum, until the mixture is smooth. Pour the filling into the blind baked pie crust. Put the pie on the heated baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF. Bake until the centre of the pie no longer wobbles when the pan is nudged (a slight jiggle is fine) about 45 to 55 minutes.
Transfer pie to a rack and cool completely before serving. The pie can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days. (If it lasts that long!)
Blind Baked Pie Crust
Position rack in the centre of the oven and heat the oven to 425ºF. Line the chilled pie crust with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights to keep the crust from shrinking and bubbling. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the beans/weights and foil. Reduce oven to 375ºF and bake until bottom of crust looks dry but isn't quite done and the edges are light golden, another 5 to 7 minutes. Let pie crust cool before filling.