Recipe: Simple Pizza Sauce
Foodsmiths Recipe by Tammy
This is a simple sauce that takes full advantage of the fresh tomatoes and herbs available in September! But if you want to make it in winter (and once you taste pizza made with this sauce, you will!) the recipe adapts very well to canned tomatoes and dried herbs. Says Tammy: "This is one of the best homemade pizza sauces that I have tried. I have put this in the freezer but never canned it, although I think you could put it up in jars if you follow proper canning techniques."
You will need...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about two or three large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano (if using fresh, add at the end of the cooking time)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (if using fresh, add at the end of the cooking time)
- 2 pounds diced fresh tomatoes, (that's six medium fresh tomatoes, or 4 cups chopped tomatoes.) You can also use 2 cans of Ontario Natural diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, this is medium spicy. Use less for less heat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste