Easy Butter Chicken
This usually feeds 4 people, and makes great leftovers! My almost 2 year old daughter loves it! Sometimes I make a double batch as it freezes well or if you want to feed a lot of people.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee (I used St. Francis Ghee, I find it brings out a richer flavour)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp fresh peeled, grated ginger (I grate mine on the small side of the cheese grater)
- 3 cloves of garlic, also minced or grated
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can tomato paste 6oz
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 can of Chas Coconut Milk, or you can sub for 1 cup heavy cream or plain yogurt
- Hot cooked Basmati Rice for serving, I used brown basmati (and naan if you don't mind the extra carbs 😉 ).
Heat a large deep skillet over med-high heat.
Add oil, butter or ghee and onions and cook until onions are light golden.
Add ginger and garlic, cook for 30 seconds till fragrant, stirring constantly.
Add chicken, tomato paste and all the spices. Cook for 6 mins or just until the chicken is cooked through, stirring often (add more ghee if it starts to stick and turn heat down to medium! Use a lid to keep in some moisture).
Add coconut milk and chickpeas and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over rice.