Fusilli Mac & Cheese
This is my version of a Mac & Cheese casserole my Mom used to make for 5 hungry kids. Her casserole featured canned tomatoes and hamburger; I used fresh tomato and skipped the hamburger, but you can definitely add cooked meat or a vegan alternative like Big Mountain Cauli Crumble.
- 2 cups brown rice fusilli from our bulk (this is a really nice fusilli)
- 1 cup skim milk powder from our bulk
- 1 tbsp your favourite flour, mine is spelt
- 2 cups Pacific mushroom broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups grated Maple Dale 4 yr. aged cheddar (about 3/4 of the block)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp organic roasted garlic from our spice bulk
- 1/4 tsp pepper or a few fresh pepper grates
Note: I don't put in salt, I let everyone salt to their own taste after serving.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Pour in fusilli and cook just until slightly softened, don't overcook! Drain and let cool for a few minutes. Place fusilli in large casserole dish (I use my cast iron pot). Add onion, tomato and mushrooms. Gently mix.
In a bowl beat together with a whisk: mushroom broth, skim milk powder, flour and spices. Pour onto pasta and vegetables. Add cheese last and mix well until everything is evenly distributed. Cover pot and bake in 350ºF oven for 1 hour or until cooked through and bubbling. Great with a side salad.