Spicy Grilled Corn Salad
by Cathy Kirkham, Foodsmiths
"This is a favourite late-summer salad of mine, using fresh seasonal produce like corn, tomato, pepper, onion, cilantro and oregano. The dressing really makes it different, imparting a smoky spice that comes from the chipotle peppers."
- 3 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 medium red onion, cut into disks about 1/3 inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil (try our new Sarafino!)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small canned chipotle, seeded and minced, plus 1 Tbs. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo, like Dos Amigos Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce)
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- One 540ml can black beans, drained and rinsed (like Bombay Dine Organic Black Beans)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
Prepare a medium charcoal or gas grill fire. Put the corn, onion, and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet and brush with 2 Tbs. of the oil. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Grill the corn and onion, flipping occasionally, until beginning to brown (the onions should still be a little crunchy), 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Grill the pepper until charred on all sides, about 12 minutes. Put the pepper in a bowl, cover, and cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the remaining 6 Tbs. oil, the chipotle and the adobo sauce, vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Coarsely chop the onion and put it in a large bowl. Cut the corn from the cobs and add to the bowl. Skin, seed, and coarsely chop the pepper; add to the bowl, along with the beans, cheese, cilantro, and oregano.
Re-whisk the dressing, add it to the corn mixture, and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The salad may be made up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate and return to room temperature, adding the fresh herbs and tomato just before serving.) -- Adapted from Fine Cooking https://www.finecooking.com